studio helper

studio helper

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

"Koi"


Oil on museum quality Ampersand Gessobord panel
2014
8" x 10"
Sold


While cleaning my palette yesterday I chanced to scrap some cadmium red light across the dried black, ochre and grey pigments which glistened on the surface from the previous day's effort.  I was reminded sharply of some images I had taken at the Rawlings Conservatory & Botanic Gardens here in Baltimore last summer.  I have always been fascinated by the intense colors and kinetic energy of koi and goldfish.   Here in the Northeast the fish in my own koi pond are hibernating at the bottom or huddled solemnly around the pond heater, waiting for the spring thaw.  Realist that I am, I seldom allow myself the freedom to be this joyously exuberant with the paint but this was crying out for a loose brush.  I like the bubbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment